Witness the Ownage Clan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sony loose 3 billion on PS3, D:

3 posters

Go down

Sony loose 3 billion on PS3, D: Empty Sony loose 3 billion on PS3, D:

Post  aPhRo_ Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:18 pm

yahoo wrote:Console gaming may be the future for consumers, but in the business world things are looking grim. The latest sign that things aren't going swimmingly: Sony has now lost an accumulated $3 billion on the PlayStation 3.

$2.16 billion lost in 2007. A mere $1.16 billion lost in 2008. Why? Because it costs a fortune to make these things and Sony continues to sell them below cost. (And, unfortunately for it, Sony is facing immense pressure is to keep pushing prices down in order to grab more market share.

Lest you Xbox fans think of gloating, rest assured that Microsoft is in the same boat. During the original Xbox launch, Microsoft lost about $4 billion on the console over 4 grueling years, never recovering those losses. Things are even worse with the Xbox 360. In its most recent fiscal year alone the company lost $1.9 billion on the console.

What will be done to stem these losses? Well, nothing. In fact, this is business as usual in the console business, and it's why smaller competitors have long since been run out of the market. For all the talk of hundreds of millions of dollars spent on writing big games like Grand Theft Auto IV, software development is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things. Building consoles (and making sure they work right *cough* Microsoft *cough*) is a dazzlingly expensive endeavor. Since consumers won't pay four figures just so they can play Donkey Kong, selling hardware at a loss is really the only option for companies that want to keep fighting in this market.

Then again, there's one company that proves that piling on the losses isn't the only way to do business in the gaming world: Nintendo, based on strong sales of both the Wii and the DS, reported record sales in fiscal 2008, with earnings of a whopping $2.6 billion, up 48 percent since 2007. With $10.5 billion in cash, you can hear Mario laughing all the way to the bank.

But Microsoft got owned more Very Happy
aPhRo_
aPhRo_

Number of posts : 126
Favourite Map : AZ Road Atlas
Registration date : 2007-12-02

http://www.myresistance.net/ostat.php?name=aPhRo_cag

Back to top Go down

Sony loose 3 billion on PS3, D: Empty Re: Sony loose 3 billion on PS3, D:

Post  HyPeR-09 Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:49 am

We don't give a shit about Sony or Microsoft losing money. At least they provide awesome exclusive games for us and you get Resistance Fall of Man. Who wins really? Smile
HyPeR-09
HyPeR-09

Number of posts : 76
Favourite Map : Beavers
Favourite Gamemode : Rocket Race
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  HSW Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:11 am

Yeah I agree with you hyper. I PERSONALLY think that the reason Microsoft + Sony are losing money is because:

A) Their consoles are aimed at a minority in comparsion to the Wii
B) Their hardware is much more advanced than the Wii's and therefore more expensive
C) Im not sure about this one, but I think other than around release time, their consoles were and now are sold at a loss for each unit.

However, as an opposite to Microsoft, Sony did generate a profit (a big one i think too) from their PS2. (The xbox orignal generated a loss). At least, this is what a fairly clued up friend told me Smile
HSW
HSW
Admin

Number of posts : 188
Favourite Map : Pinnacle, The Cage, Asylum. | The Pit, Guardian
Favourite Gamemode : Multi Flag CTF or Team Slayer
Registration date : 2007-11-28

http://incompletejigsaw.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  aPhRo_ Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:36 am

HyPeR-09 wrote:We don't give a shit about Sony or Microsoft losing money. At least they provide awesome exclusive games for us and you get Resistance Fall of Man. Who wins really? Smile

lol, i doubt you've played RFOM Very Happy

and we have amazing (not awesome) exclusive games too, with the likes of Gran Tursimo, Metal Gear Solid, Time Crisis, Motorstorm, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, to name a few. Very Happy

hsw wrote:Yeah I agree with you hyper. I PERSONALLY think that the reason Microsoft + Sony are losing money is because:

A) Their consoles are aimed at a minority in comparsion to the Wii
B) Their hardware is much more advanced than the Wii's and therefore more expensive
C) Im not sure about this one, but I think other than around release time, their consoles were and now are sold at a loss for each unit.

However, as an opposite to Microsoft, Sony did generate a profit (a big one i think too) from their PS2. (The xbox orignal generated a loss). At least, this is what a fairly clued up friend told me Very Happy

yeh thats correct, ps2 and PSP made MASSIVE profits, and the XBOX original was sold at a loss,

and something interesting i heard elsewhere (i thinks) bungie considred Halo PS2 but it wouldnt run on that system, so XBOX it was and then they were approached by Microsoft anyway,

and the DS made massive profits (how i dont know, its kinda dodgey imo)

and thers a Rumour that at the end of the year Sony are unveiling a "new" system of the PS3 (very similar to what they did with PS2 im told) where by it is like current systems, etc, but without wireless, and the extra CPU (the one used purely for PS2 games) and its going to be more slimlined and sold at a cut price (and if sony are in anyway clever will try and make a profit by stripping out as much of the expensive but little used technology[i mean why dont they put headphone jacks in rather than a bluetooth module??])

but yeh each console has its positives, and negatives ps3 can be left on for 32 hours on a hot day and not overheat Razz and has games that I like that are exclusive to PS3, 360 has a few exclusives and is made by a company that like to know exactly what you had for breakfast, Wii is made by japanese company alled nintendo - enough said

Very Happy

Last edited by SAMurai on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
aPhRo_
aPhRo_

Back to top Go down

Post  HSW Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:28 am

If they do what you just said Sam I think the bloody chinks might start to sell more consoles. Maybe they have had an epiphany Razz. Seriously though if they did something like that to begin with, at this time, they might have outsold/come close to the amount of units sold by the 360. Simply because a lot of people would buy one straight off the mark, no questions asked because of the popularity of the PS2.
HSW
HSW
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aPhRo_ Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:19 pm

perhaps i should've worked for sony Very Happy

but you can't knock Sony Smile they've come up with an insane machine, but, they've neglected the fact that it isn't just the machine that people look for anymore, and its power, online gaming is so big now, people want a communtiy to game with not just a console you can play games on Smile

i dunno but yeh Smile sony made it WAY too expensive by putting little used "novelty" hardware in it Smile
aPhRo_
aPhRo_

Back to top Go down

Post  HSW Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:07 pm

Yeah. Well said, little used. As for the power, it might pick up when the games start to harness that power, that would be good. But like you just said, online gaming is what its all about now. I wouldnt have bought half the games or spend half the time on my console if it wasnt for online gaming. You never have noone to play with.
HSW
HSW
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aPhRo_ Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:41 am

well, resistance and its online is very good as far as PS3 games go atm, and with the release of Reistance 2 promised for september, we could be seeing a very similar route that halo took, RFOM now is much better with the release of www.myresistance.net where you can reach players through your PC and set up clans and such and tournaments through that site,

but it is only BEta and might i add the WORST beta site i've ever seen, but when thats out of beta it will be so good Smile Resistance and COD4 atm are by far the best Online games for the PS3, although i havent Tried GTA online yet, Motorstorm was o.k online but, the problem with that game online, probably true for most racing games but motorstorm especially, one mistake and thats it, you lose, there is no room for error.
aPhRo_
aPhRo_

Back to top Go down

Post  HSW Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:42 am

At risk of straying off topic and becoming an arguement through partially my fault. I think we should lock this topic, so, topic closed.
HSW
HSW
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content